April 12, 2011

Owning your Gender Role or The Thing that No one Tells You about Coming Out | Rabbit Write {featured read}

It was a lazy morning in bed, during the time Ned and I were first dating. “I think this would fit you” he said–and with a slide of the hand produced a red satin dress from his closet. In the mirror, I admired the low back, it was fitted exactly to my body. But where did this magic gift come from?

“It was mine” he said.

When Ned was coming out as bisexual, he was going to Rocky Horror midnight shows and (apparently) wearing backless red dresses to parties at Northwestern. Downtown, I was in tight jeans and Nikes. I stood in front of my bathroom mirror and cut my hair short, long strands falling into the sink. I saved tiny clippings, to later make a myself mustache and beard with spirit gum–for fun. Read More >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...